Loaded with fibre, protein and good fats this lentil, carrot and avocado salad recipe is both hearty and healthy. It has all the right ingredients for a good side dish or weeknight dinner. It’s also tossed in zesty lemon dressing, for a refreshing burst of flavour.
This recipe serves four and uses the KitchenAid Stand Mixer and the slicer/shredder attachment, making prep quick and easy. It’s a great add-on tool that lets you create something new (and delicious!) with your stand mixer or prepare ingredients in big batches. So get creative, give this lentil salad a go and make healthy eating a habit!
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- KitchenAid Fresh Prep Slicer/Shredder Attachment
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Citrus juicer
- Salad server
- ½ cup French lentils, cooked in 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- ½ cup sprouted brown rice, cooked in 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 6 radishes, cleaned
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 10cm pieces
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp flaked salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- In a medium saucepan, bring lentils and 3 cups of water or vegetable stock to a boil. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Bring brown rice and 1 cup of water or vegetable stock to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool.
- Attach the Fresh Prep Slicer/Shredder Attachment to your KitchenAid Stand Mixer and fit the slicing blade. Position a large bowl under the attachment to catch sliced ingredients. Stack radishes end to end in the feed tube. Turn on the stand mixer to speed 5 and process until radishes are sliced.
- Remove the slicing blade and replace it with the medium shredding blade. Fill the feed tube with carrots. Turn on the stand mixer to speed 8 and process until carrots are shredded.
- In a large bowl, toss lentils, brown rice, radishes, carrots, arugula and parsley. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Top with avocado slices. Sprinkle with sunflower and flax seeds and serve immediately.
Recipe and image adapted from KitchenAid.