Image credit: saveur.com
The whole family will enjoy opening their lunch box when they are filled with these savoury and sweet treats.
Savoury Pastry Rolls
Sausage rolls can take on a new meaning when you add a variety of vegetables and flavours. Pop these in the lunch box to be enjoyed hot or cold.
- Mixing bowl or food processor
- Wooden spoon to mix
- Baking slide
- Grater or food processor disc
- Chopping board
- Lunch box
- Pasty brush
- Measuring cups
- 500g sausage meat (Pork, beef or chicken)
- ½ chopped onion (optional)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 zucchini (grated)
- ½ c tasty cheese (grated)
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Fresh chopped herbs (eg parsley, thyme, oregano)
- 2 pre-prepared sheets of puff pastry
- ¼ c milk
- Mix all ingredients together in bowl or food processor.
- Lay 1 pastry sheet on floured board
- Cut in half down the middle
- Spread sausage mix in a tube shape down the middle of each half
- Use the pastry brush to spread milk along edges of pastry
- Roll pastry together and seal
- Cut into 10 centimetre pieces and place on greased baking tray.
- Cook at 180° for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat cooked right through.
Recipe sourced from the edmondscooking.co.nz
A never fail favourite, the afghan is a crunchy, chocolate biscuit that will fill the gap at recess and fit snugly into any lunch box.
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Baking tray
- Baking paper or butter to grease tray
- Lunch box
- 200g butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1¼ cups Edmonds standard flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 cups cornflakes
- Chocolate Icing
- 24 walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease or line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour and cocoa. Stir into creamed mixture. Fold in cornflakes.
- Spoon mounds of mixture onto the tray, gently pressing together.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set. When cold ice with chocolate icing and decorate with a walnut if wished.