Kitchen Warehouse founder Marilyn Macaulay’s green tomato pickles has long been a treasured family secret – but a relish this tasty deserves to be made public!
(Makes approx 4 large jars)
- 2kg green tomatoes
- 400g brown onions
- 9 tbs salt
- 900g sugar
- 750ml cider vinegar
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 ½ tbs curry powder
- 1 ½ tbs mustard powder
- 1 tbs turmeric
- Chop tomatoes and onions. Layer 1/3 tomatoes, 1/3 onions, 1/3 salt in a large bowl. Continue layering. Leave covered overnight.
- The next day, drain then pour a litre of boiling water over the mixture. Drain and repeat at least twice to remove salt.
- Add 450ml of the vinegar to the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooking make a paste with the flour, turmeric, curry powder and mustard powder with the left over 300ml of vinegar.
- Add sugar to the tomatoes, stir and then turn off heat.
- Add paste slowly. Stirring consistently to avoid lumps.
- Place on a low heat for 5-10 minutes. Pour the pickles into sterilised jars.