Add your own homemade mascarpone cheese to tiramisu or cannoli with the Mad Millie Artisan Cheese kit from Kitchen Warehouse. Makes approximately 700g of fresh, creamy mascarpone cheese.
From Mad Millie Cheese Making Kit
- Iodophor steriliser
- Cheese cloth
- Draining spoon
- Culture Measuring spoons
- Thick based saucepan
From home kitchen
- 1 L fresh cream.
- ½ tsp of citric acid
- 2 Tbsp of cool water
- Thoroughly sterilise all equipment with the iodophor steriliser (see bottle instructions for use).
- Dissolve citric acid in cool water
- Line colander with cheesecloth
- Pour cream into the pot and add thermometer. Slowly heat on stove until it reaches 85°C ensuring that the two indentation points on the lower half of your thermometer are fully submerged when reading the temperature.
- Add the citric acid solution.
- Keep the cream at 85°C (185°F) for 5 more minutes.
- Take off the stove and leave to cool for a few hours or overnight.
- Pour the cream into a cheesecloth lined colander.
- Stand to drain until it has almost reached thickness of Greek yoghurt. Mascarpone will thicken more once put in the fridge.
- Mascarpone can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Use mascarpone in this delicious tiramisu recipe, or mix and pipe into cannoli shells for a creamy, indulgent treat.
On a related note:
Baked Camembert Cheese
Cheese Knife Buying Guide