Made with new potatoes, garlic bulbs and a hint of chilli, this Mellow Confit Garlic Frittata is served with a spoonful of gremolata. Serves four.
- 3 whole garlic bulbs
- 750ml olive oil
- 500g new potatoes
- 200g baby spinach
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- A large bunch of parsley
- Red chilli
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C/ gas mark 6.
- To make the confit garlic, separate 3 bulbs of garlic into individual cloves, leaving the papery skin on. Put them in a small pan with the oil over the lowest heat possible.
- Allow them to cook very gently for an hour, making sure the oil doesn’t get too hot. If you are concerned about the oil becoming too hot, you can turn the heat off every now and again.
- After an hour take the pan off the heat, allow to cool completely and pour the contents into a clean jar.
- To make the frittata, add the potatoes to the Le Creuset 26cm Signature Round Skillet with 2 tablespoons of the garlic oil, turning the potatoes over so they are all glistening. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel 10 cloves of confit garlic from their papery skins.
- Once the potatoes are golden, remove them from the oven (without switching it off) and give them a good shake, loosening any that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Put the skillet back on a medium heat (use an oven glove or handle glove to hold the handle – it will be very hot), and add the spinach, tossing it until it has begun to soften.
- Scatter over the garlic cloves.
- Add the beaten egg, pouring it evenly around the pan and stirring gently to coat the spinach
and potatoes. Cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes then transfer to the oven to
cook until the frittata has just set, but still has a little wobble.
- In the meantime, quickly make the gremolata. Finely chop the parsley and red chilli together, add the lemon zest and a good pinch of salt.
- Serve the confit garlic frittata in generous slices with the gremolata for spooning over.