Rich in flavour, texture and ingredients, this Moroccan Spiced Quinoa recipe will light up your taste buds!
It requires a lot of ingredients (mostly for the spice mix) but it is well worth it! The delicious combination of quinoa with chickpeas, roasted carrot, sultanas, onion and pinenuts combined with the spicy flavouring will have you coming back for seconds.
The recipe takes around 30 minutes to make and serves 4!
Note: Please refer to our How To Cook Quinoa blog for a thorough “how to” on cooking this superfood!
Moroccan Spiced Quinoa
NOTE: If you’re a meat lover and looking to add it to the mix, we think grilled chicken dusted with the spices would make a fantastic addition!
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 25-30 Minutes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into circles
- 100 g chickpeas, soaked and drained
- 250 g quinoa
- 3 tblesp olive oil
- 100 g raisins
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1 lemon zest
- 12 – 15 mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- For Moroccan spice blend; 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp back pepper
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 tsp sugar
- 1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
- For the spice blend; place all Moroccan spice ingredients into a bowl and use a mortar to firmly blend together.
- Lightly oil the onion and carrot and spice it with half of the Moroccan spice blend.
- Bake the carrot and onion for 20 minutes at 200C (you may want to remove the onion earlier than this).
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in 500 ml of water until liquid is fully absorbed.
- In a big pot, combine the cooked quinoa, chickpeas, carrot, onion and raisins.
- Add in one spoon of olive oil, lemon zest, mint, pine nuts and the remaining Moroccan spice blend.
- Mix well and serve warm!
Let us know what you thought of this recipe in the comment section below!