There’s excitement in the air in lots of kitchens across Australia as we get ready to show the mums in our lives just how much we love them. Why not start with a special Mother’s Day breakfast in bed?
Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed – The Menu:
- Soft-boiled eggs with sourdough soldiers
- Granola with cinnamon yoghurt & figs
- Indulgent hot chocolate with extra cream
SOFT-BOILED EGGS WITH SOURDOUGH SOLDIERS
Prep: 2 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 4 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 3 thick slices sourdough bread
- salted butter, to serve
- Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and carefully lower the eggs into the water with a slotted spoon. This needs to be done gently as you don’t want to crack the eggs.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes for perfectly jammy yolks. In the meantime, heat a heavy-based griddle pan over medium-high heat and toast the bread for 2 minutes on each side. Spread
generously with butter. Cut into soldiers and divide between serving plates.
- Place the eggs in egg cups on each serving plate. Using a butter knife, hit the side of your egg with a few quick whacks. This will cut through the shell and egg and you will be able to remove the top, ready to season and dip.
GRANOLA WITH CINNAMON YOGHURT AND FIGS
- Yoghurt maker (we used this)
- Baking tray (we used this)
- Preserving jars (we used these)
- Bowls (we used this)
Prep: 10 hours 15 minutes (+ overnight setting)
Cook: 20 minutes
For the granola:
- 60ml (1⁄4 cup) melted coconut oil
- 60ml (1⁄4 cup) maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup whole almonds
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 cup pepitas
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1 orange, zested
- figs, halved, to serve
For the cinnamon yoghurt:
- 150g plain full-cream yoghurt with live cultures
- 1.2L full-cream milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the yoghurt, whisk the yoghurt and milk together inside the small (1.6L) yoghurt maker container.
- Place the container inside the yoghurt maker and select the C1 program. This setting will run for 10 hours before automatically turning off.
- To make the granola, combine all of the ingredients except the figs in a large bowl and mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, rotating the tray at the halfway mark. Set the granola aside to cool and then store in an airtight container.
- Once the 10-hour yoghurt program has finished, place the strainer inside the large (1.8L) container and decant the warm yoghurt mixture. Cover with the lid and transfer to the fridge to set overnight.
- Tip the set yoghurt into a large bowl along with the cinnamon and maple syrup. Whisk to combine and adjust to taste.
- To serve, divide yoghurt between serving bowls and top with a generous sprinkle of granola and the figs. Decorate with edible flowers if you like.
HINT: Begin making yoghurt in the morning the day before: it can be refrigerated as soon as the program finishes and will be ready the following morning.
INDULGENT HOT CHOCOLATE
- Turkish coffee pot OR
- Milk pan (we used this, pictured)
- Mugs (we used these, pictured)
- Serving bowl, for the cream (we used this)
Cook: 10 minutes
- 200ml milk
- 200ml thickened cream
- 100g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- extra whipped cream and grated chocolate, to serve
- Combine the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth in texture.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring the mixture back to a simmer.
- Divide the hot chocolate between two warmed mugs and serve with extra cream and chocolate.
Complete your Mothers’ Day Breakfast in Bed with: