This is an easy and delicious old-fashioned apple pie recipe just like your grandma used to make!
Warm and satisfying, this classic dessert is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Whether you’re having a dinner party or simply treating the family, the simple but tasty sweet pie will see people coming back for seconds!
Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.
Old Fashioned Apple Pie
SERVINGS: 6 – 8
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
COOK TIME: 45 Minutes
- 8 medium sized granny smith apples
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tblsp butter
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 220C.
- Peel, core and slice the apples ensuring the thickness of each slice is even.
- Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir apples into the mixture.
- Line a pie plate with one sheet of pastry.
- Add in apples and dot with butter.
- Cover with second pastry lining and seal the edges then cut slits in the top.
- Cover the edge with a 5 cm strip of aluminium foil to prevent the pastry from over browning.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until juice bubbles through the pastry slit.
- Remove foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.
Try this classic recipe out for yourself and tell us what you thought in the comment section below!