Skip to content
By Manu Feildel for Chasseur
- 240g grains of pearl barley
- 4 shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 handful of parsley (finely chopped)
- 150ml white wine
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 80g butter
- 4 tbsp parmesan Reggiano (grated)
- 1 L chicken stock
- 400g assorted mushrooms (washed and cut to bite size), (morels, chanterelles, oysters, shimijis, enokis, chestnuts etc.)
- In a casserole on a medium heat add (half) of the olive oil, then the shallots and cook gently.
- Add the Pearl Barley and stir for about 3 minutes until it heats up and is glazed in the oil.
- Pour in the wine and reduce by 2/3. Season with salt and pepper, then slowly add the chicken stock over about half an hour until the pearl barley is cooked.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add the remaining 50ml of olive oil, then add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and the parsley and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms in to the pearl barley, check the seasoning and finish by stirring in the parmesan and butter.