Whether you’re a kid or just a kid-at-heart, banana mini muffins are a great way to complement tea or coffee time. For parents, these are great lunch bag stuffers as well. There are many ways to go about this recipe, and in our version we’re taking the simple, not-overwhelmingly-sweet road with a basic batter and cream cheese frosting.
Get ready to go all giddy with these yummy, light and sweet muffins in under 30 minutes!
24 mini muffins
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsps brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed bananas
- 175 ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 8 tbsps vegetable oil
- 125 g butter (room temperature)
- 250 g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 450 g powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line patty pans over a 24-cup mini muffin pan.
- Sift the flour and baking soda over a bowl, then add the brown sugar.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the egg and add the milk, oil and bananas. Stir.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Ladle the batter into the muffin pans. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- For the frosting: Use an electric mixer to work the butter and cream cheese properly.
- Add vanilla extract and the powdered sugar (in small batches). Mix until creamy.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and garnish the cooled muffins.
- Serve as they are, or top with sliced bananas or berries for a prettier touch.
- Banana Mini Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
- You can add finely grated lemon rind to the frosting mixture to add more zest.
- To make full-sized muffins, use a cupcake pan instead and bake for 17 minutes.
- These muffins may be stored and frozen, then microwaved before serving.
- For a more “banana”-ish theme, you can add yellow food colouring to the frosting mix.
- Vanilla and chocolate frosting are perfect for banana muffins, too.