A fresh seafood platter is an Aussie Christmas classic and it won’t be complete without a cracking seafood sauce. Here’s what you need to give yours the wow factor.
Get the basics right
The beauty of a perfect seafood platter is that anything goes. Start with cooked prawns – they’re a crowd-pleaser that need almost no preparation. From there, add whatever cooked seafood you fancy, such as steamed mussels, buttery scallops and barbecued squid and lobster tails. Seize your chance to shine with a DIY dipping sauce (below), then finish with fresh herbs and lemon and lime wedges.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- ¼ cup (60ml) tomato sauce
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1½ cups (375ml) sunflower or canola oil
- Paprika, extra, to serve
- Place egg yolks, ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, mustard, salt and paprika in the Vitamix. Secure the lid.
- Start blending on low speed, then increase to high and blend for 10 secs.
- Reduce speed to low. With the motor running, remove the plug in the lid and add the oil in a thin, steady stream or until the sauce thickens. Transfer to an airtight container and place in the fridge to chill.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with paprika and lemon zest. Season and your perfect seafood platter is ready to go!
For more Aussie specials take a look at these: