Eating healthy is one of the most important routines most parents find difficult to implement at home. Especially when kids are fond of sweets, treats, and junkies, it can be hard to change. With this simple yet nutritious pork, vegetable, and quinoa sausage rolls recipe, you can easily make a nutritious and tasty lunch for kids as they go back to school. Your little ones are sure to love it, even without the dip!
Quinoa is a gluten-free seed that can make a great substitute for rice and other grains. It has fewer carbs but double the proteins of white rice. It’s also one of only a few plant foods that are considered a complete protein as it contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and vitamin E.
Those on a strict diet can use quinoa to replace oats for breakfast or simply add to their salads for lunch. Even kids will love the filling feeling of this fibre-rich seed. See how quinoa and yummy veggies can revolutionise your sausage rolls.
- 1 green apple, cored and quartered
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 500g minced pork
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 3 sheets ready made puff pastry
- Egg wash
- Sesame or chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place the apple, carrots, onion, garlic and fennel seeds in your food processor. Use the cutting blade to chop on pulse or mix on medium speed for approximately 10 seconds until all ingredients are roughly chopped and mixture achieves an even consistency. Take care not to over-process your ingredients. You want a medium consistency.
- Add your pork, egg, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to the mixture. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl and fold the quinoa through.
- To assemble your sausage rolls, take a sheet of puff pastry and cut it in half. Place the sausage roll filling along the middle length of the pastry. Allow at least a 2cm edge at the top. Brush the top edge with egg wash. Roll your pastry up and encase your filling to create a long sausage roll. Cut it in half, place on baking tray seam side down. Continue this process until you have used all you pork filling.
- Prior to baking, brush tops of sausage rolls with egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame or chia seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
How To Prepare Quinoa
- Rinse quinoa well prior to cooking to remove the natural soapy residue on the seeds.
- Place quinoa in a saucepan and add one cup of water with a sprinkle of salt. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, then turn down heat to low so quinoa can slowly absorb the water.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove saucepan from the heat. Remove the lid and allow to cool slightly. Use a fork to lightly fluff up the quinoa. Place cooked quinoa in a large plate to allow it to cool prior to adding it to the sausage rolls.
This recipe is adapted from holistic health coach Maddie Race’s food blog site.