The sun is finally out, and it’s time for picnic season! Whether you’re catching some sunshine in the back garden or planning for a picnic lunch with the family this weekend, you’ll need some delicious drinks to quench the thirst. Here’s our top five picnic cocktails and summer refreshments you can make without too much fuss.
Summer is the best time to get out and have fun under the sun. But most of all, it’s the perfect time to make the best refreshments out of your home bar. From kid-friendly beverages to crowd-favourite cocktails, you can use all the seasonal citrus fruits and water-rich veggies to make tons of delicious drinks that will help you beat the heat and cool off under the sun.
Pink Cranberry Lemonade
Lovely in pink and delicious with fresh cranberry and lemon juice, this kid-friendly sparkling mineral drink is just perfect for the whole family. It’s great for lunches, barbecue parties, and back chill-at-home afternoons. Serve it in Bormioli storage bottles, garnish with citrus slices, and sip with a stainless steel straw for a lovely presentation. You can also use transparent plastic tumblers if you’re planning a cool picnic outdoors.
- 250ml water
- 220g sugar
- 250ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 750ml sparkling mineral water, chilled
- 500ml cranberry juice
- Heat the sugar and water in a Le Creuset saucepan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Once the syrup has cooled, stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the lemon syrup and sparkling mineral water to your Le Creuset Cool Mint Pitcher and stir until well combined.
- Pour into glasses and add enough cranberry juice to make it as pink as you would like.
Citrus Skins and Vodka Fizz
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup sugar
- Citrus skins or peelings
- Flavourings of your choice (see instructions)
- 50ml vodka
- 125ml lemonade or ginger ale
- In a saucepan, bring the water up to a gentle simmer, add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Remove from the heat, then add the citrus skins and/or peels.
- Mix and match flavours of your choosing, e.g. adding rosemary or thyme, perhaps even strawberry tops or smashed bruised berries. Leave aside to cool completely before straining.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the infused citrus syrup into a glass with a shot of vodka, top up with lemonade or ginger ale and enjoy with lots of ice. Use the citrus skins to garnish.
Raspberry Champagne Cocktail
- 10 oz frozen raspberries, slightly thawed
- ½ cup light rum
- 750ml bottle Brut Champagne
- 1L ginger ale
- Mint, to garnish (optional)
- Place raspberries in the bottom of a pitcher.
- Add rum, Champagne and ginger ale to the pitcher, and stir to combine.
- Place crushed ice into a cocktail glass, pour the cocktail and garnish each with fresh mint.
Sweet Summer Sangria Recipe
- 1 bottle of dry red wine such as Pinot Noir or Merlot
- 5 oz of Brandy
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 sliced orange
- Pour dry red wine into a pitcher and add the brandy. Mix.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add sliced lemons and oranges.
- Serve over ice in a Riedel Pinot Noir glass. Enjoy!
Lychee Ginger Cooler
- Thermos Carafe 2L
- Thermos Tumbler Cups 320ml or any other unbreakable tumbler
- 6 bottles (500ml) Allswell Lychee Aloe Vera Drink
- 5 to 6 tumbler cups ice cubes
- 8 tbsp grated ginger
- 16 tbsp (240ml) lemon juice
- 800ml soda water
- 30g basil leaves
- Pre-cool your Thermos Carafe by filling it with cold water (ice cubes and water), close the lid tightly and let it sit aside for 10 minutes. Discard water.
- Add ice cubes into the carafe and fill it to about one-third full.
- Add grated ginger, Allswell Lychee Aloe Vera, lemon juice and soda water.
- Close the lid tightly. Mix the contents well by giving the carafe a good shake. Serve immediately by pouring into the tumbler cups.
- Before serving, garnish the tumbler cups of lychee ginger cooler with a few basil leaves.
- For a spiked version, add 1 shot of your choice of gin into the tumbler cup, before serving.
- If you are storing this beverage in a Thermos Alfi Carafe, simply mix all contents together in a separate pot and pour the cold beverage into the carafe (exclude the ice), to keep it cold for hours.