Pumpkin Soup – the unsung health food
Use this favourite soup recipe for lunches, dinners and an afternoon pick me up. Pumpkin is an unsung health food containing high levels of Vitamin A for good vision, healthy skin, teeth and bones. Pumpkin can also lower blood pressure and promote good sleeping habits and a healthy prostate while the fiber in pumpkin is good for heart health. Did we mention that pumpkin soup is also incredibly delicious! This basic pumpkin soup recipe comes with optional ideas for spicy and sweeter alternatives.
- Peeler (such as Savannah Speed peeler for efficient pumpkin peeling)
- Large saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Stick blender
- Chopping board
- Knife or Dicer
- Bowl to collect liquid
- 1 x 2kg pumpkin (Japanese or Butternut)
- 1 brown onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 rasher of bacon
- sea salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- Peel and dice pumpkin, potato, carrot and onion.
- Heat oil in stock pot
- Fry whole rasher of bacon and chopped onion until onion is clear
- Add vegetables and saute for a further 3 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper and stir. Add chicken stock and water and bring to boil and boil for 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to absorb flavours
- Remove soup from heat and drain into a bowl, retaining liquid.
- Return cooked vegetables and bacon to pot. Puree using stick blender.
- Return liquid one cup at at a time, stirring to combine between cups until desired consistency has been reached.
- Taste soup and add seasoning as required.
- Serve into soup bowls with a dollop of sour cream or thickened cream and a sprinkle of freshly chopped chives.
- Enjoy with freshly baked bread.
Try these ideas for a sweet or spicy twist to your pumpkin soup.
Spicy: Add 1 clove of garlic, 3 tsp of ground cumin and 2 tsp of ground coriander with the bacon and onion. (add chilli powder for extra spice)
Sweet: Add one medium sized sweet potato with the vegetables.