This giant ice cream sandwich cake has all the rocky road surprises in the filling with the blissful, buttery cookie base and topping. This ice-cream recipe can easily be dressed up or down by adding different chocolate, fruits or nuts at the end of the churning.
For the ice-cream:
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- pinch table salt
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1½ tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cup strawberry topping
- 2 cups mini pink marshmallows
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 150g chopped white chocolate
For the cookie:
- 500g butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 ½ cups plain flour
- Icing sugar, for dusting.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk, sugar, strawberry topping, vanilla extract and salt until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
- Turn the Ice Cream maker on; pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Five minutes before mixing is completed, add the chopped white chocolate, coconut flakes, and marshmallows through the top and let mix in completely. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture.
- Line a 24cm spring form cake pan with four layers of cling wrap extending wrap 10cm over side of pan.
- Working quickly, spoon ice-cream into pan, pressing down firmly and smoothing surface. Fold plastic wrap over ice-cream to enclose. Place in freezer for about 2 – 3 hours or overnight until firm.
- While ice-cream is setting, start the biscuit for your base and top of the sandwich.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and egg yolks and beat well to combine. Add the flour and beat until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half. Between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper, roll the dough out to 1cm thick
- Using the base of another 24cm spring, press into rolled out dough to form two large biscuits for the top and base of your cake.
- Bake cookies about 20 minutes or until light golden. Cool on wire racks for 20 minutes.
- Place 1 cookie on cake board; top with ice-cream cake then top with remaining cookie.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.