Use the Le Creuset Cast Iron Round Casserole to make this succulent Saffron and Honey Chicken Casserole with Orange and Ginger Sauce. The cast iron effectively retains heat and locks in the moisture, making the end result perfectly browned and super moist, packed with flavour. These kitchen essentials are handcrafted in France and enhance the cooking process by evenly distributing and retaining heat for even cooking and browning.
Saffron and Honey Chicken Casserole with Orange and Ginger Sauce
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1kg chicken pieces (thighs and legs)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4cm piece of ginger (1 tbsp), grated
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 red chilli, whole, cut lengthways
- Peel of 1 orange
- 200ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- A pinch of saffron steep in 30ml hot water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 300g baby carrots
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinse and drained
- 50g almond flakes, toasted
- Fresh coriander, to finish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in your cast iron casserole. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the onion until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Scatter over the flour and mix to coat the onions. Slowly pour in the stock, constantly stirring until the sauce thickens. Add the chilli, orange peel and juice, lemon juice, saffron water, and honey.
- Return the chicken to the pan, along with any resting juices. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the chicken cooked through. Add the chickpeas and heat through, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- To crisp the chicken skin, place under the grill for several minutes. Finish with almond flakes and fresh coriander.
Recipes by Le Creuset
Enjoyed these recipes from our friends at Le Creuset? Try these:
- Chocolate and Poached Pear Pavlova
- Margarita Pizza in a Pan with Le Creuset
- Maple Pears, Sultana and Hazelnut Baked Porridge