Craving a refreshing meal? Try this lightly seared tuna on a bed of crunchy, fresh, and raw spiralised kohlrabi salad recipe. It’s drizzled with the perfect homemade dressing to balance out the flavours of fresh tuna and your veggies.
This recipe serves four and makes use of the KitchenAid stand mixer and spiraliser plus attachment to make easy veggie spirals. A versatile kitchen tool, the spiraliser is the fastest, easiest and most fun way to get more veggies into your diet.
Explore what other kitchen tasks your KitchenAid Stand Mixer can do with these optional attachments.
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- KitchenAid Spiraliser Plus Attachment
- Digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Baking dish
- Wooden spoon
- Frying pan
- Mason jar
For the tuna and salad
- 2 medium kohlrabi, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 80g (1 cup) shredded savoy cabbage
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 60ml (¼ cup) light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp hot English mustard
- 2 x 200g tuna steaks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp wasabi powder
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp salt
- Fit the Spiraliser Plus Attachment to your KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Center one kohlrabi onto fruit and vegetable skewer then attach to the spiraliser. Attach medium spiralizing blade, and position at the end of kohlrabi. Place a medium mixing bowl under the blade to catch spiralized kohlrabi. Turn the stand mixer to speed 6 and process until the blade reaches the end of kohlrabi.
- Repeat with remaining kohlrabi. Add carrots, cabbage, and green onions to the bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. This salad can be made up to 6 hours ahead.
- Combine light soy sauce, garlic, and mustard in a shallow baking dish. Add tuna and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Pour oil in a medium frying pan and place over medium high heat. Add tuna and cook about 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 1cm-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, start with the dressing. Combine vinegar, wasabi powder, lime juice, sesame oil, honey, lime zest and salt in a small jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use. The dressing can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- To serve, divide kohlrabi mixture evenly between 4 serving plates. Top with sliced tuna, and drizzle over dressing and garnish with sesame seeds.
Recipe and image are adapted from KitchenAid.