Topped with melted chocolate, caramelised banana and marshmallows, this S’mores-inspired French Toast recipe by Le Creuset is bound to put smiles on everyone’s faces.
- Large round white loaf or 8-10 slices of white bread
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 65ml milk
- 5ml vanilla essence
- Olive oil and butter, for frying
- 60g granulated sugar
- 60ml water
- 4 small bananas, peeled and sliced
- 50g butter
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 10 large white marshmallows, snipped or sliced into discs
- Digestive biscuits, crushed
- To prepare the bananas, place the sugar and water in a frying pan and gently heat until the sugar dissolves and starts to caramelise. Once the sugar is golden and bubbly, add the bananas flat side down, and fry in caramel. Turn them over once and add the butter. Once the butter is bubbly, turn off the heat. Set the pan aside until ready to serve.
- To make the french toast, slice the bread into three large rounds across the loaf. Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into a shallow dish and briefly dunk and soak the bread on either side, but only just before frying as not to disintegrate from absorbing too much moisture.
- Heat a Le Creuset 28cm Signature Frying Pan; add olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Once the butter is foamy, add the soaked bread. Pan fry on either side until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- Place the french toast on a serving platter, drizzle with melted chocolate, top with the caramelised bananas, pop the marshmallows over the top, and blowtorch to caramelise.
- Sprinkle with the crushed biscuits and serve immediately while still hot.
Liked this S’mores-inspired French Toast recipe? Try these:
- Panettone French Toast
- Homemade Crumpets with Honey Butter
- Quick Sweet Waffles with 6 Decadent Toppings