Healthy, home made grain bread…. Be patient with the proving, it may take up to 1½ hours. A very important step that ensures a good, moist, fine textured end result
- 1/3 Cup Pearl Barley
- 3 Cups Bread/Pasta Flour
- 1/4 Cup Wholemeal Plain Flour
- 3 Tbs Soy or Chickpea Flour
- 2 x 7g Sachets of Dried Yeast
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tspn Salt
- 50ml Olive Oil
- 225-250ml Tepid Water
- 1 Tbsp Linseeds
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Buckwheat Kernels
- Place the barley in a small saucepan with water to cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25 minutes, partially covered with a lid until tender. Drain well and cool.
- Fit the mixing bowl onto the standmixer. Add the flours, yeast, sugar and salt into the bowl. Attach the flat beater and mix on speed 1 or 2 until well combined
- Add the drained pearl barley, olive oil and 225ml of the warm water. Mix on speed 2 until mixture comes together. If the dough seems a little dry add the remaining water
- Change to the dough hook and knead on speed 2 for 5 minutes or until the dough is soft and smooth
- Remove the dough to a lightly oiled bowl,* cover with plastic film or a damp tea towel and leave in a warm, draft free place until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and return to the mixer. Knead for 1 minute on speed 2. Scatter the linseeds, sunflower seeds and buckwheat over a clean bench. Lightly shape the dough into a log and gently roll in the seed mixture. Press the dough into the prepared pan, cover lightly with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and allow to rise to the very top of the pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 210C (190C for fan forced oven) and grease a medium sized loaf tin. Bake the bread on the centre shelf for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180C (160C fan forced) and bake a further 15 to 20 minutes or until the bread is golden and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped