These indulgent Choc-Caramel Cupcakes are designed to tantalise your taste-buds!
Continue reading “Indulgent Choc-Caramel Cupcakes!”
Of all the delectable cake choices available, there is none more Australian than the Lamington! So bake up a storm this Australia Day (or any day) and indulge yourself in this delicious treat, one that has long since become a staple of Australian fetes, fundraisers and barbecues!
PREP TIME: 45 Minutes
COOK TIME: 18 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons boiling water
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 3/4 cups desiccated coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
- Lightly grease a deep 32cm by 18cm lamington pan with melted butter and line the base and sides of the pan with non-stick baking paper. Make sure to leave a 5cm overhang to make removing the sponge easier.
- Sift the two flours and cornflour together.
- Repeat the sifting process five times to aerate the flour thoroughly.
- Whisk eggs and salt in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer until pale and thick.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until no residue is left from the fork test. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- Cover with foil and stand overnight.
- Remove the sponge from the pan and trim the edges.
- Then cut the sponge into 5cm squares.
- To make the chocolate icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a medium heatproof bowl.
- Stir in the boiling water and mix well to combine.
- Place the coconut in a medium bowl.
- Using two forks, dip the sponge squares into the warm icing and then roll in the coconut.
- Keep an eye on the icing, if it begins to thicken place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until it goes back to the desired consistency.
- Place the lamingtons on a wire rack lined with non-stick baking paper for one hour to set.
- Classic Australia Day Lamingtons!
- Though it’s not imperative to leave the sponge to set overnight, if you have the time it’s preferable as it will allow the sponge cake to be firmer and easier to handle when coating.
Perfect for children’s birthdays!
You can’t make a list of dessert recipes for kids without this old favourite. Cupcakes suit every special occasions, especially children’s birthdays, and are also perfect for brightening up ordinary days. Though you can make various designs with cupcakes, nothing beats classic chocolate and vanilla cupcakes. No matter the current trend, this combination just never seems to go out of style.
Continue reading “Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting”