Tasty Cannoli pastries consist of a delicate shell filled with a creamy mascarpone mixture. Cannoli originates in the Sicily region of Italy and has translated well to the Australian palate. Use your homemade mascarpone from our easy to make recipe to fill light, delicious cannoli for any occasion.
- Mixing bowl
- Table knife
- Egg separator
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Pastry board and rolling pin
- 8 – 10 cm round plain pastry cutters
- Paper towels
- Cannoli tubes
- Frying pan
- Piping bag
- Cannoli Shells
- 4 c sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup white wine
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cannoli Filling
- ¾ c mascarpone cheese
- ¼ c icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence or Grand Marnier
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ¾ c drained ricotta cheese
- Cannoli Shells
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter with a knife until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolks and mix well.
- Add wine 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing dough until it is of a firm consistency.
- Form a ball with the dough and rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out on floured board until almost paper thin. Cut into rounds with cutters.
- Roll circles of dough around cannoli tube sealing overlapping ends.
- Heat oil in the frying pan and cook cannoli shells one or two at a time for approximately 1 minute, turning to brown all sides. Drain cooked cannoli shells on
- paper towels, seam side down.
- Cool slightly then remove cannoli shells from tubes by holding shell on paper towel and carefully sliding cannoli tube out. Leave to cool completely on paper towels.
- Fill cannoli shells with Mascarpone cream or store in airtight container until ready for use.
Mascarpone Cream for Cannoli filling
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix thoroughly to combine
- Cover and refrigerate for two hours before use
- Place cream in piping bag and pipe into cannoli shells
- Dust completed cannoli with icing sugar or combined cocoa and icing sugar and serve immediately.
- Optional: Dip ends of cannoli in melted cooking chocolate and set.
Purchase all you need to make your own mascarpone cheese using the Mad Millie cheese kit from Kitchen Warehouse as well as cannoli, tiramisu and more online or at a nearby store.
On a related note:
Mascarpone cheese made at home
Cheese Knife Buying Guide