This is the most luxurious and deeply satisfying ice-cream
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Granulated sugar, divided
- pinch Sea or Kosher salt
- 1 Whole Vanilla bean, havled and seeds scraped
- 5 Large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsps Pure vanilla extract
- 1 In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, whisk together the milk, cream, half the sugar, salt and the scraped vanilla bean (including the pod). Bring mixture just to a boil.
- While the milk/cream mixture is heating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a meduim bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
- Once the milk/heat mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about 1/3 of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another 1/3 of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will overcook- the process should only take a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer (discard the vanilla pod) and bring to room temperature. Stir in the vanilla.
- Cover and regrigerate at least 2 hours. Whisk mixture together before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Turn the ice cream maker on and set timer for 40 minutes. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes.
- The ice cream will have a soft and creamy texture. If a firmer texture is required, transfer to an air tight container and place in the freezer for around 2 hours.