No meat? No problem! This vegan burger is made from aubergine and lentil and tastes just as good, if not better, than beef or pork. Garnish with your favourite toppings and relish like guacamole and watercress!
This super hearty vegan burger is perfect for grilling and extremely flavorful. With a mix of enough herbs and spices, vegans and non-vegans alike are sure to love this recipe.
- Vitamix blender
- Digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Oven-safe frypan
- 100g (½ cup) dry lentils
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ½ carrot
- 100g (1 stalk) celery, diced
- ½ red onion, peeled and diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 aubergines
- 2 portobello mushrooms, gills cleaned
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 30g (¼ cup) bread crumbs
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 10g (¼ cup) fresh coriander leaves
- 20g (¼ cup) mint leaves
- 15g (¼ cup) flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Place lentils, thyme, carrot, celery, and red onion in a small saucepan. Cover with water, add a pinch of salt or two, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Roughly chop the aubergine and sprinkle with ½ tsp of salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes for the moisture to release.
- Dry and spread the aubergine onto a large baking sheet, along with the mushrooms and garlic. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 20 minutes or until roasted.
- Drain the lentils and leave to steam dry while the vegetables are roasting. Pick the thyme sprigs out of the lentils and discard.
- Place the aubergine mixture and the lentil mixture into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine, and increase to its highest speed. Blend for 30 seconds. Use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades. Reduce the speed to Variable 8 and blend for another 20 seconds. The mixture should be smooth. For more texture in your burger, blend for less time.
- Transfer into a mixing bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, pomegranate molasses and herbs then mix to combine. Portion into 6 patties (100g each) and place in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour.
- To cook, preheat the oven to 180C (375F). Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and oil to the pan. Fry the burgers for 3 minutes on each side then place in the oven for 5 minutes or until completely heated through.
Recipe and image adapted from Vitamix.