Extra zucchini? Turn them into fritters! Delicious yet healthy, these versatile zucchini fritters can be served as a snack, side dish or lunch box treat. It’s also quick to make and the perfect way to sneak in vegetables into any meal.
This recipe makes about six to eight fritters. Prep work is even easier with the help of the KitchenAid Stand Mixer fitted with a food processor attachment. This kitchen tool will surely come in handy when you want to double or triple this recipe.
Explore what other kitchen tasks your KitchenAid Stand Mixer can do with these optional attachments.
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- KitchenAid Food Processor Attachment
- Digital scale
- Non-stick frying pan
- Chef’s knife
- 1 small brown onion
- 450g (about 3 large) zucchini, trimmed, cut in half lengthways
- 240g (about 2 small) yellow potatoes, such as yukon gold or Bintje potatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 75g (½ cup) plain flour
- 25g (¼ cup) good quality fresh Parmesan, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Attach the Food Processor Attachment to your KitchenAid Stand Mixer and insert the dicing kit as directed.
- Position a large bowl under the food attachment to catch the diced onions. Turn on the stand mixer to speed 4 and process.
- Set onions aside and replace the dicing kit with the large grating disc and place a second bowl in position. Grate the zucchini, one at a time, into the feed tube on speed 4. Set aside. Place another bowl in position and repeat the same process with the potatoes.
- Transfer the zucchini to a colander and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Toss to combine and let it drain for 10 minutes. Wring moisture from zucchini by pressing against sides of the colander or wrapping it a clean dishcloth and squeezing excess water out. Place the shredded zucchini in a large mixing bowl and toss with a fork to loosen the shreds.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the onions, stirring occasionally until softened. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the onions to the zucchini with the potatoes, egg, flour and parmesan cheese. Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Drop large spoonfuls of zucchini mixture into the oil and flatten slightly. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Recipe and images adapted from KitchenAid.