Ice Cream Flavour Variations
- Chocolate – stir 60 g of cocoa powder into the vanilla base before freezing; you can add chocolate chips during churning
- Coffee – add a cup of strong coffee to the mixture and stir thoroughly before freezing; for more flavour, add chopped roasted hazelnuts or crumbled cacao chips during churning
- Mocha – dissolve 1 tablespoon instant coffee in 1 cup hot water, allow to cool then stir into vanilla base along with 120 ml chocolate syrup before freezing
- Peanut Butter – blend 200 g of smooth peanut butter into the vanilla base using a hand blender; you can also add pieces of banana in
- Blueberry – stir 250 g fresh or frozen blueberries into the vanilla base before freezing
- Strawberry – stir 300 g chopped strawberries into the vanilla base before freezing; you can add chopped toasted pecans or almonds in during churning
- Black Forest – stir 120 ml chocolate syrup and 400 g pitted, halved cherries into the vanilla base before freezing
- Mint – stir 120 ml crème de menthe into the vanilla base before freezing; add semi-sweet chocolate chips during churning to make mint-chocolate chip
What other ice cream flavours have you tried making? Tell us in the comments section below!
A Vegan Ice Cream Recipe
Vanilla ice cream – master this at home, and you can come up with a thousand and one more flavours using it as a base. And with summer coming up, vegans and those who don’t eat dairy will get to enjoy this version of vanilla ice cream that’s incredibly easy to make and of course, incredibly delicious to eat. Feel free to experiment with other ingredients; who knows, you might even come up with a hip, new flavour to freeze everyone in their tracks!
- 850 ml light coconut milk or thick soy milk
- 120 g sweetener (brown sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Chill overnight then churn in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions.