For a hearty soup full of goodness!!
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups salt- reduced chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 2 tomatoes,chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 chopped flat-leaf parsely
- Place the lentils in a large dutch oven and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil over high heat.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Bring the stock and water to the boil in the dutch oven over high heat.
- Remove from heat and add chicken.
- Place over low heat and simmer, covered, for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add the lentils, tomato, onion, celery, carrot and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for 45-50 mins or until lentils are tender.
- Season to taste.
- Shred the chicken and return to the soup.
- Ladle among bowls.
- Top with parsley.