A well-loved French dish, the classic beef bourguignon is comfort food best shared with a hungry crowd. The colours of vegetables mixed with fork-tender meat are enough to make your mouth water. Give this recipe a go when you love cooking one-pot meals or are simply craving for something hearty.
The secret to making the beef bourguignon flavourful is by braising the meat gently in the oven, together with the red wine and aromatics. Having a good cookware set like the Tefal Ingenio definitely comes in handy when cooking this popular dish. It’s also easy to make your own by adding mushrooms or other vegetables that you like. This recipe serves four, but double it if needed as people will surely ask for seconds!
- Tefal Ingenio Performance saute pan or saucepan; Tefal Ingenio Stainless saute pan or saucepan
- Tefal Ingenio Frypan
- Measuring cups or measuring jug
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon or kitchen spoon
- Mixing bowl or large plate
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 rashers of rindless bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ cups red wine
- 1½ cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1¼ cups frozen peas
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large Tefal Ingenio saucepan or saute pan, heat ½ tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef in batches, for 4 to 5 minutes or until brown on all sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove beef from the heat and transfer to a large bowl or plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bacon and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Put the beef back into the pot. Add the plain flour and tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the red wine, stirring constantly until mixed well.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cover and transfer the dish into the oven and braise for 2 hours or until the beef becomes tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in Tefal Ingenio frypan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the shallots and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the shallots soften.
- Remove the pot from the oven. Add the shallots to the beef stew, together with the baby carrots, then braise for another 30 minutes or until the meat is very tender.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for about 5 minutes on the stovetop or until softened. Finally, sprinkle in the parsley, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve this delicious beef stew with mashed potatoes.