Deliciously moist and packed with fresh flavours, this beautiful cranberry apple nut bread is perfect with a generous serving of butter for breakfast, or for a sweet afternoon tea treat.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 175°C. Grease the bottom of a medium loaf pan with shortening or butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric stick mixer or hand mixer to mix 3/4 cup sugar, the oil and egg. Stir in apple, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in walnuts and cranberries. Pour batter into the loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over the top.
- Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours, before slicing.
- To easily shred the apple, use a medium-sized grater.
- For added fiber, leave the peel on the apple.
- Make the bread ahead and refrigerate or freeze. The bread will actually become more moist and easier to slice after storage.
- This is a perfect bread for gift giving! Bake it in a disposable aluminum foil pan. When cool, wrap in foil or colored plastic wrap and tie with a ribbon.
Recipe by Betty Crocker
Enjoyed this Cranberry Apple Nut Bread recipe? Check these out: