We ask 10 outstanding food bloggers to share recipes they learnt from the significant mother in their lives. Passed down from Nana to Mum to Jodi of Practising Simplicty Blog, this was a staple family dinner and a meal she now shares with her own family.
- 750 grams pumpkin, no skin (I use organic jap or kent)
- 3 tomatoes peeled & chopped
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of raw sugar
- 4 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- pinch of chilli powder
- 150mls cream
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into chunks. Place in a deep pot with onion, tomatoes, sugar and salt & pepper.
- Cover with stock – don’t use too much stock as the soup will end up too runny.
- Keep pot covered and cook until pumpkin is quite soft.
- Spoon into your blender and blend until smooth. If there is a lot of watery residue at the bottom of the pot I usually leave it out – creamy, thick soup is my preference.
- Finally add chilli & cream and stir.