Gluten-free baking can be quite a challenge, but given the right resourcefulness and creativity, yummy treats are a breeze to make. Rhubarb has a unique and interesting flavour, perfect for whipping up light and delectable muffins. Serve these with your favourite cup of afternoon tea or have them as light snacks in the morning!
Rhubarb muffins are favourite treats of gluten-free bakers. You can add in other fruits and spices as you wish. For this recipe, we’re sticking to fresh strawberries to add some fruity texture to our muffins.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 1/4 cup organic light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tsps bourbon vanilla
- 1/2 cup rhubarbs, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Grease or line a 12-muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flours, starch, baking powder, baking soda, 1 cup of the brown sugar, sea salt, xanthan gum, 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add in the olive oil, eggs, soy milk and bourbon vanilla.
- Mix until smooth. Use your hands to combine properly.
- Add the strawberries and rhubarb to the mix.
- Spoon the batter to the muffin cups.
- To make a streusel topping, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil and mix until you get grainy textures. If it’s too dry, add the other tbsp of coconut oil. The end result should be a light but sandy crumble.
- Spread the streusel on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes. It’ll take longer to bake if the fruits are cold.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.
- Brown rice flour instead of buckwheat flour
- Arrowroot starch instead of tapioca starch
- Egg substitutes instead of eggs
- Vanilla nut milk instead of soy milk
- Organic shortening instead of coconut oil