Homemade tomato soup is so much better than the tinned stuff and nothing could be easier to make!
- 2 400g tins tomatos
- 2 onions, diced coarsely
- 6 garlic gloves, diced coarsely
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150ml cream or milk to taste
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 Heat olive oil in a saucepan and lightly fry the onions over a medium heat for about 15 minutes until soft. They should not brown.
- Add the garlic, oregano, bay leaves, thyme and basil then briefly stir so that the spices soak up the olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes slightly with a wooden spoon and stir everything. Pour in the chicken stock and cover.
- Take the soup off the stove and allow to cool slightly then remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Increase the temperature and bring to the boil. Reduce the temperature, remove the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Puree soup with hand blender and heat again don’t boil it again. Add cream or milk to taste then season again with salt, pepper and a little sugar.