Sure, plain lemon cheesecake is delicious, but turn it into a lemon cheesecake ice cream and you’ve got yourself a dessert bursting with the bright flavours of summer and the creamy decadence of everyone’s favourite no-bake dessert. You’ll want a bowl of it right away!
Rich in lemon flavour yet sweetened with the heavenly crunch of buttery cookie crumble, this cheesecake ice cream will be your summertime favourite. This must-try frozen treat comes together fairly quickly with the help of a reliable stand mixer with an ice cream bowl attachment. Try not to devour the whole batch in one sitting!
- KitchenAid stand mixer with whisk and flat beater attachment
- KitchenAid ice cream bowl, drive assembly, and dasher
- Digital scale
- Measuring jugs
- Food and freezer-safe containers or ice cream tub
- Non-stick saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or silicone spatula
- Meat tenderiser
- Ziplock bag
- Cling wrap
- 4 large egg yolks
- 220g caster sugar
- 160ml whole milk
- 200g cream cheese, at room temperature, chopped
- 180ml lemon curd
- 300ml heavy cream
- 100g crisp butter or vanilla cookies
- 40g butter, melted
- Freeze the ice cream bowl for at least 15 hours before making this recipe.
- Fit the stand mixer with the mixing bowl and whisk. Add the egg yolks and 168g caster sugar. Mix on speed 4 for 1 minute or until thick and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Reduce the speed to 1 and gradually add milk. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture achieves a thick consistency and coats the back of a spoon. Do not let the mixture boil or it may curdle. Remove the saucepan from heat and transfer the mixture to a clean mixing bowl. Refrigerate until cold.
- Exchange the flat beater for the wire whisk. Add the cream cheese and remaining sugar to the mixer bowl and beat on speed 1 until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon curd and continue mixing on speed 1. Slowly add the cooled custard and mix until smooth and combined. Once done, transfer to a separate bowl and refrigerate until very cold.
- Re-attach the clean wire whisk to the mixer, add heavy cream, and whip on speed 8 until soft peaks form. Fold in cream cheese and lemon mixture. Set aside the bowl and detach the wire whisk.
- Fit the drive assembly, ice cream bowl, and dasher (as per instruction book) to the mixer. Turn to speed 1. Pour mixture into the ice cream bowl and churn for 20 minutes or until soft set. While churning, stir in the melted butter.
- Meanwhile, place cookies in a ziplock bag and crush with a meat tenderiser to turn into fine cookie crumble.
- The lemon curd cheesecake ice cream can be served immediately with cookie crumbs sprinkled over the top. But for a firmer texture, transfer the ice cream into an airtight container, sprinkle with crumbs, and freeze for several hours.
For more ice cream inspiration, check out more ice cream recipes on the blog.
Recipe adapted from KitchenAid Australia.