Cauliflower is one of the healthiest foods and extremely versatile too. It can be a great meat alternative, healthy snack, vegan replacement for rice, base for pizza, and or an appetising side to pair with your main dish. Is there anything cauliflower can’t do?
Research suggests that one serving of cauliflower can contain up to 73% of the daily recommended vitamin C for one person. Diets rich in cauliflower have been shown to reduce risks of diseases, improve digestive health with its high fibre content, and help in weight loss as cauliflower is low in starch, fat and sodium. Cauliflower is essential for brain development too, thanks to its high choline content.
The great health benefits of cauliflower have been known and written about for nearly 2000 years. This knowledge has had a resurgence in recent years as more and more people wake up to the goodness of cauliflower, along with its great taste and versatility.
Try this healthy pickled cauliflower recipe from Kilner and see for yourself!
If you are keen to learn more, join our Canned, Pickled, and Preserved workshop.
- 400-500g cauliflower broken into florets
- 4 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 small green chilies
- 500ml Sarson’s White vinegar
- 500ml water
- 4 tbsp Pickling salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 onion
- 6 or more fresh dill (optional)
- Make sure your cauliflower is broken down into edible sized florets. Wash and dry.
- Pour the Sarson’s vinegar, water and salt into a sauce pan over a low heat.
- Add in sugar and salt and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Add the cauliflower to your sterilised Kilner jars along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the cooled mixture over the top, seal and leave for 24 hours before consuming.
This recipe makes 1.3L of pickled cauliflower.