- 125ml sugar
- 60ml butter
- 30ml water
- 30ml white wine vinegar
- 8-10 red onions, halved
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 250g puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Melt together the sugar, butter, water and vinegar in a Le Creuset Tarte Tatin pan. Allow to come to a boil, and cook to a deep caramel colour.
- Arrange the onion halves along the base of the pan.
- Cover the layer of onions with the puff pastry, tucking the edges in underneath the onions
- Brush the pastry with the egg yolk, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and flip the tarte tatin over onto a serving plate. Garnish with thyme and serve warm.
Recipe thanks to Le Creuset Cast Iron Tatin Dish