Sweet waffles are delicious but savoury, stuffed with cheese or studded with vegetables, are a sure-fire way to kick start the day.
These made-from-scratch waffles are ready in less than 30 minutes with basic ingredients from your pantry and a trusty waffle maker, of course!
We love how they turn out perfectly crisp and golden on the outside while being light and fluffy on the inside.
For the batter
- 250g plain flour
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder (or self-raising flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
For the topping
- 2 eggs, poached
- 2 rashes of bacon, fried
- 2 tbsp hollandaise sauce
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, or a large drink shaker. If baking powder is hard to get, use self-raising flour instead.
- Add the buttermilk and the egg yolks and mix or shake well. If you’re not using a drink mixer, add the cheddar cheese now and any other optional ingredients such as chopped mushrooms, chopped capsicum, or spinach.
- Heat the waffle machine and give it a light spray of olive oil.
- Pour in about a cup of mixture. If you are using the drink bottle, pour in half a cup and then sprinkle with the cheese or extra ingredients and then pour some more batter over the top.
- Close the lid and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. Remove and serve with bacon and eggs, topped with hollandaise.