Easy, 1hr, Serves 10
By Nicky Bylund
- 250g Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/3 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 1/4 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/4 Cup Rice Flour Line
- Beat butter, essence and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until mixture is light & fluffy.
- Stir in sifted flours. Press mixture until firm.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead.
- Either roll and slice into biscuit sized pieces or roll out flat (about 1cm thick) and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. For the best festive shape, use a star shaped cutter.
- Bake in a moderately slow oven for about 20 mins.
- Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Star shaped shortbread makes for a great home-made gift when stacked and wrapped in clear cellophane and tied up with festive coloured ribbons.