Corned beef is truly a versatile type of meat. You can cook it in various ways, and you can serve it any season of the year.
But whilst there are plenty of recipes that use corned beef as the main ingredient, some can be just perfect for typical cold winter nights. The following recipe is one great example. By serving tender, slow cooked corned beef with sweet-tangy mustard sauce plus seasonal vegetables, you can definitely help ease away your family’s stress on a tiring weeknight.
And this doesn’t require an elaborate method at all. By using a slow cooker all you need to do is to prepare the ingredients in the morning or during the night before, put them inside the slow cooker, push the right button and leave. By the time you come back from work in the evening, you can easily serve the dish hot and tasty to your loved ones. Enjoy!
Corned Beef With Mustard Sauce
CREATED BY: Mary Ann de Mesa
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
COOK TIME: 6-8 Hours
- 1 kg corned beef
- warm water to cover beef
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 7 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1/3 cup malt vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsps. brown sugar
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Mustard sauce: 30g butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1-2 tsps mustard
- Put beef in a slow cooker.
- Add in onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, malt vinegar and brown sugar.
- Add warm water, just enough to cover the meat.
- Cover the slow cooker, cook for 8 hours on low setting or 6 hours on high.
- When the beef becomes tender, remove from slow cooker.
- Slice meat. Serve hot with mustard sauce and seasonal vegetables, topped with fresh parsley.
- To make mustard sauce: place butter, flour and milk into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in mustard.
Note: You can use carrots, potatoes and other vegetables for serving.