Sweet and delicious, this moist Sultana Loaf Cake is the perfect accompaniment to a cup of Earl Grey. Make this recipe for afternoon tea, morning tea, or high tea and savour just how well it goes with your favourite brew.
Sultana Loaf Cake takes around 60 – 70 minutes to bake (though it may need longer depending on your oven, so test it with a fork or skewer before removing). Best served warm, the delicious cake is absolutely scrumptious on its own or with some butter or jam!
Sultana Loaf Cake
Serves approx 8 – 10 people.
- 250 g butter, softened plus extra to grease the tin
- 1 cup (225 g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups (450 g) plain flour
- 1 tsp (4 g) baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 385 g sultanas
- Pre-heat oven to 170C and brush a loaf pan with melted butter to lightly grease and line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric beater, mix the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add in the eggs 1 at a time making sure to beat well before adding the next to ensure mixture is combined.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Fold half the flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir in half the milk.
- Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk until well combined and then fold in the sultanas with a metal spoon.
- Pour or spoon cake mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once removed from the oven, set aside in the pan for 5 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
Try this fruity recipe for yourself and tell us what you thought in the comment section below.