Sweet potato and dessert are very rarely used in the same sentence together, but this yummy Sweet Potato Slice with Cream Cheese Icing recipe will have you reassessing the vegetable as a strictly meal time food.
Great for morning or afternoon tea, or as a treat after dinner, the delicious – yet understated – taste of the sweet potato pairs brilliantly with the sweet tang of the cream cheese icing. This recipe, which makes a lot, will change how you view sweet potato!
Sweet Potato Slice with Cream Cheese Icing
SERVINGS: 12 -16
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 35 Minutes
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of cooking oil
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tblsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of sweet potato, grated
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 170C
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, eggs and oil.
- Add in flour, cinnamon and baking powder one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Add in sweet potato last and blend well.
- Spread batter into an extra large baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the icing, mix together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add in icing sugar, vanilla and pecans and beat well.
- Spread a thick layer of the cream cheese icing mixture on to the top and sides of the cake.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Try out this interesting recipe for yourself and tell us how you went in the comment section below.