Yoyo biscuits are classic Australian treats better known as melting moments. This easy recipe makes 15 sandwiched cookies with a delightful vanilla custard filling.
- Stand mixer (with paddle attachment)
- Digital weighing scale
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Silicone spatula
- Baking sheets or trays
- Baking or parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- 250g butter, softened
- ¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- ¼ cup custard powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp custard powder, optional
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line sheet trays with baking paper.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add butter and vanilla. Using a stand mixer, beat until smooth and creamy. Stopping every so often to scrape down the sides.
- Sift the plain flour and custard powder onto the bowl with butter mixture. Stir through, being careful not to overmix to keep it light and airy.
- Roll mixture into teaspoon-sized balls and place on the prepared baking trays.
- Press the tops of the ball lightly with a floured fork to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden.
- Leave to cool on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the butter, vanilla paste, and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the sifted icing sugar and beat until well combined. You can add more custard powder if preferred.
- Join two yoyo biscuits together with 1 tsp of the filling. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Bring back fond kitchen memories with other Australian treats that you can easily recreate at home. Try your hand on this Classic Lamington Recipe or impress your guests with this Chocolate and Raspberry Pavlova.