This simple yet nutritious recipe provides a quick and tasty lunch for all occasions. Your zucchini fritters can be taken for a packed lunch or plated for sharing. It’s also a delicious way to sneak in vegetables to your kids’ meal.
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Box grater
- Mixing bowls
- Silicone spatula
- Frypan or skillet
- Ice cream scoop
- Slotted turner
- Cooling rack
- Paper towels
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cheddar or parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying (canola or sunflower)
- Sweet chilli sauce or sour cream for dipping
- To remove the excess water in your grated zucchini, toss it with a few sprinkles of salt, then let it sit for a few minutes. Using your hands or a cheesecloth, squeeze handfuls of your grated zucchini to drain. Transfer it to a colander.
- Fill your frypan with enough oil for pan-frying. Heat it up to medium high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the milk and egg together.
- Sift the dry ingredients together then add the egg mixture. Combine.
- Fold in the grated zucchini and cheese. Mix and season to taste.
- Once the oil is hot enough, use an ice cream scoop to transfer equal portions of your zucchini mixture into the oil. Use a slotted turner to flatten each mound into a patty.
- Fry one side for a few minutes until golden then flip each to cook the other side.
- Place the cooked fritters on a plate or rack lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve with chilli sauce or sour cream for dipping and fresh garden salad.